Thursday 26 August 2010

The Blondes

Finnish


I see that Bruce Grossman has given the nod to Carter Brown's archetypal book: The Blonde. The cover he has is one of the later editions, a quintessential Robert McGinnis.  So I thought I'd share some of covers from around the world.

The first cover is a Mexican one-she does look rather bedraggled doesn't she?  She's been ridden hard and put away wet, apparently.   The second one is Australian- she's much more playful and fun.  The third is the Brazillian version--hey what's the man doing ther? Everyone knows that male detective stories need a sexy broad and not some bloke lurking. 


These are all versions of the American artist Ronnie Lesser's cover-the one of the far left is the 1958 Signet original.  The other one is the Dutch version.

Signet 1958

Dutch
But of course I'm saving the best until last;  here are my two favourite covers.

Japanese
 Norway
I love the abstract Japanese covers.  More on that in the future.  Who doesn't know the despair of the blonde?  It could just be my favourite cover.

No comments: